Rustic Candy Apples
Author: A Bachelor & His Grill
- 6-8 apples honey crisp or pink lady, washed and dried
- 6-8 wooden skewers
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup pistachios roasted & coarsely chopped
- 6 pinches sea salt optional
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Skewer Apples.
- Over high heat, in a heavy-bottom sauce pan, bring to boil sugar, water & corn syrup.
- Stirring occasionally, reduce heat to medium, removing when temperature reaches 300F.
- With quick pace, immerse apples in sugar mixture, then transfer to lined baking sheet to cool.
- When candy coating has partially set, roll apples over pistachios.
- Dust lightly with sea salt (optional) & return to lined baking sheet cooling completely.
- Serve & bring smiles to all.
To improve adhering of candy coating to apples, ensure to remove wax-like coating found upon most store-bought apples. To remove wax-like coating... Bring 1 pot of water + 2 tablespoons vinegar to boil. Turn down heat to simmer. Dip apples for only a few moments, then rub dry with a towel. Magic. Now you have candy-ready apples! Use a candy thermometer to measure the temperature of the candy coating. This tool will be key in knowing when to remove the sauce from the heat & initiate coating your apples. If the candy coating becomes too hard during the dipping process, simply reheat the mixture until desired liquid state achieved. Re-dip. carry forth.