Stuffed and Roasted Barranquilla Bell Peppers
Servings: 4 -6
Author: A Bachelor & His Grill
- 1 cup dry quinoa plus 2 1/2 cups salted water
- 1 cup wild rice plus 2 cups salted water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- Spanish chorizo casing removed
- 4 large bell peppers sliced in half length-wise, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 15 oz can sweet corn kernels drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes diced, plus additional
- 1-2 jalapenos sliced and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lime zest plus additional to garnish
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- 2 avocados diced, to garnish
- 1 cup cilantro leaves loosely packed, plus additional to garnish
- Crème fraîche or sour cream, to garnish
- Sriracha hot sauce to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375○F.
- In separate pots, over medium-high heat on stove-top, bring quinoa & wild rice boil. Reduce heat & simmer covered for 20-30 minutes, or until liquid absorbed & grains tender. Drain. Fluff with fork. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in sauté pan over medium-high heat, bring 2 tablespoons oil to a gentle simmer. Toss in the garlic and onion, then sauté 7-10 minutes or until just fragrant. Stir in chorizo & cook for additional 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine cooked grains, sautéd chorizo-onion-garlic, lemon juice, lime zest, all herbs & spices, tomatoes, beans, corn & jalapenos. Season stuffing to taste. Fill sliced peppers beyond the brim. Set in a covered baking dish & roast in the oven 15-20 minutes,or until bell peppers just tender. Remove from oven & place on cooling rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro, lime zest, a dollop of Crème fraîche & Sriracha. Season additionally, to taste. Serve!