- 6 ounces dried black trumpet mushrooms
- 8-10 ounces assorted wild mushrooms chopped
- Olive oil
- Granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- Flat leaf parsley chopped
In small sauce pan bring 2 cups salted water & 1 tablespoon oil to a raging boil. Remove from heat. Steep black trumpet mushrooms until tender. Strain liquid. Season with garlic, salt & pepper, to taste. Set aside.
In heavy bottom pan over medium-high indirect heat, bring 1 tablespoon of oil to gentle simmer. Toss in the assorted mushrooms. Season with garlic, salt & pepper. Sauté 7-10 minutes, or until water released, fragrant & tender. Remove from the heat, stir in 1 tablespoon each of butter & toss with a handful of parsley. Set aside.
- 2-3 shallots finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- Celery salt and fresh ground pepper corn to taste
In heavy bottom pan over high heat, bring 1 tablespoon oil to gentle simmer. Toss in shallots & sauté until fragrant & just beginning to caramelize. Turn down heat to medium & add remaining ingredients. Whisk intermittently until volume reduced by 1/4. Set aside.
Note: To thicken sauce, add 1 teaspoon sour cream. To thin, add 1 teaspoon milk.
- 2 T-bone steaks
- A Bachelor & His Grill's Blue Cheese & Shallot Cream Sauce
- A Bachelor & His Grill's Sauteed Wild Mushrooms
- 4 ounces pine nuts
- Flat leaf parsley to garnish
- T-Bone Herb Rub:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus additional for basting
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup Herbs de Provence
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Prepare steak rub by grounding & whisking together all ingredients. Set aside.
Trim excess fat from steaks, rinse meat in cold water, pat dry, liberally massage seasoning across entire surface of the beef, wrap tightly with plastic & refrigerate for 4 hours, up to overnight.
Remove steaks & bring to room temperature 1 hour prior to grilling.
Meanwhile, preheat grill using 2-zone method (see notes below).
With grill lid open, lay steaks over hottest grill grates & sear 4-5 minutes, turning ¼ turn after 2 minutes. Flip & repeat for 2nd side. Once seared upon both sides, transfer to cooler, indirectly heated grill grates & close the grill lid. Basting & flipping steaks intermittently, roast until within 5○F of desired internal temperature (see notes below - ie. to prepare medium rare steak, remove from grill at 125-130○F).
Remove steaks from grill & loosely tent with tin foil for 5-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare cream sauce & mushrooms (recipes above). Also, dry roast pine nuts over medium heat in a heavy bottom skillet until golden brown. Set aside.
To plate, season steaks additionally, to taste. Top with creamy blue cheese sauce, sautéd mushrooms, & pine nuts. Garnish with parsley & serve.
Creating a 2-zone Grilling Surface:
1-burner grill – leverage the warming shelf, lined with tin foil, to remove the meat from direct contact with the grill grates.
2-burner grill – heat the right side to hot and leave the left side off.
3-burner grill – heat the far right side to hot, the middle to low-medium and the left side off.
4-burner grill – heat the two right zones to high and leave the two left zones off.
Beef steak should be plated at the following internal temperatures:
Med-Rare: 130-135 °F. Medium: 140-145 °F. Med-Well: 150-155 °F. Well:+160 °F.