Woodfire grilled lobster tail & gulf coast prawn dressed in a gorgeous pesto herb-butter. Garnished with fresh parsley & chives. Laid over a bed of chopped purple kale & ancient grains salad. Served alongside a crisp, late fall Short’s Brewing Autumn Ale. Cheers!
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves packed
- 1/3 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup taragon leaves chopped
- 3 tablespoons cup thyme leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 3-4 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- 2 sticks butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- In a food processor puree all ingredients until well blended. Set aside to use immediately or seal and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Woodfire Rock Lobster Tails with Pesto-Herb Butter
- 4 8-12 oz rock lobster tails
- Pesto-Herb Butter see recipe above
- Lemon quartered, to garnish
- Chives freshly chopped, to garnish
- Sea salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- 4 wooden skewers
- 2 cups of cedar wood chips see Notes Section below
- In advance of grilling, preheat the grill to 450F using the 2-zone cooking method. Apply 1 perforated tin foil packet wood chip packet in the back corner of the direct heat grilling zone (see Notes Section below).
- With a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, carefully cut through the top side of the lobster shells lengthwise. Pull apart the 2 halves slightly and rub the meat lightly with the prepared pesto-herb butter. Next, insert a wooden skewer lengthwise through the meat to prevent curling during the cooking process.
- Place the lobster meat-side-down over the direct grilling zone and sear with the lid open for 2 minutes. Then, move the lobster over to the cooler indirect cooking zone, intermittently baste and grill until the lobster meat is just cooked through and opaque in color, approximately 4-6 additional minutes. Remove from the grill and rest under a tin foil tent for 2-3 minutes before discarding the skewer and plating.
- To serve, squeeze a lemon atop the lobster, garnish with chopped chives, season to taste with sea salt and fresh ground peppercorn.
1-burner grill – Turn the grill to high, then leverage the warming shelf, lined with tin foil, removing the meat from direct contact with the grill grates.
2-burner grill – Turn right side of the grill to high & leave the left side off.
3-burner grill – Turn far right side of the grill to high, the middle to low-medium and the left side off.
4-burner grill – Turn far right side of grill to high, middle right to medium, middle left to low, & leave the far left zone off. 2-Zone Grilling Surface on Charcoal:
Ignite the charcoal in a chimney starter. When coals are glowing red, dump coals onto the grill floor. Rake coals, pushing ⅔ to one side of the grill, slanting the remaining coals to the opposite side of the grill, establishing high-piled 1 hot zone & 1 cooler zone. For every hour of cooking, add a half-stack of coals. Hardwood Smoker Packs: Tear off 3-4 8″ sheets of tin foil. Pour a handful of your favorite hardwood chips onto the foil in a mound. Wrap the tin foil around the chips creating a package-of-sorts. With a knife or fork, perforate the top of the packet allowing smoke to billow from the package when the chips are heated. *Note: Never soak your woodchips – 0 value-add to process.