Lights. Camera. ACTION!
This Superbowl Fiesta is ready to Rock ‘n Roll, as I share 3 of my favorite big game recipes.
Appetizer 1. Beef wellington-inspired, seared steak bites with gorgeous cuts of Omaha Steaks New York Strip, sautéed portobello pâté, torn prosciutto, blue cheese crumble & Founders Brewing Co. Stout balsamic reduction, all loaded into toasted mini phyllo dough cups. One word summary = Amazing!
This recipe is incredibly simplistic in preparation & execution, but absolutely dynamite & complex in terms of flavors & texture contrast. As lengthy as the recipe appears… it’s just this easy:
1. Prep the veggies, crumble the blue cheese, tear prosciutto, & cube the steak, as advised.
2. Prepare the balsamic stout reduction & set aside to cool.
3. Saute the onion, garlic & mushroom with sherry wine until all liquid evaporated.
4. Meanwhile, in heavy-bottom pan season the steak cubes & sear over high heat for 3-5 minutes, then toss in with mushroom mixture.
5. Load the phyllo dough cups with the steak-mushroom mix & bake for 5 minutes, max.
6. Remove from oven, top with crumbled blue cheese, spring onion & a glazing of balsamic reduction!
Appetizer 2. Caprese Skewers with Stout Balsamic Reduction. Simple, but fantastic party app with sweet cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella & basil, & all drizzled with a balsamic reduction made with Founders Brewing Co – Tap Room craft beer!
Appetizer 3: If the kitchen goes up in smoke & all to Hell in a handbag – Pretzels & Brews are your next best alternative! But, be warned – Those arriving to my party with garbage domestic beers are NOT allowed! Buy local. Drink Grand Rapids craft beer! I’ll share 3 of my Favorites brews!
Stay hungry. Keep warm. Party on! -David
New York Strip Bites with Prosciutto & Blue Cheese Crumble
- A Bachelor & His Grill's New York Strip Bites (see recipe below)
- A Bachelor & His Grill's Mushroom and Onion Sherry Sauté (see recipe below)
- A Bachelor & His Grill's "Balsamic Stout Reduction" (see recipe below)
- 24-32 phyllo dough cups
- Proscuitto torn
- Aged blue cheese crumble
- Fresh green onion thinly sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 350○F.
- Prepare A Bachelor & His Grill's Mushroom and ONion Sherry Sauté," "New York Strip Bites," "Balsamic Stout Reduction," per recipes below.
- Add 1 tablespoon steak-mushroom mixture into phyllo dough cups, filling 24-32 cups.
- Over lined baking sheet, place filled cups & roast in oven for 5 minutes, max.
- Remove & allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Crumble blue cheese, add torn slices of prosciutto, & drizzle balsamic reduction.
Mushroom and Onion Sherry Sauté
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup shallot petite diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups portobello mushroom petite diced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sherry wine avoid "cooking sherry"
- 1 teaspoon butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- In heavy bottom pan over medium heat, bring olive oil to gentle simmer.
- Toss in shallots & garlic, then cover & sauté 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Turn down heat to low-medium, add water & mushroom, stirring intermittently, cover & cook for 10-15 additional minutes, or until all liquid absorbed.
- Remove cover, turn heat back up to medium-high & add sherry, stirring until all liquid absorbed.
- Remove from heat, fold in butter, season to taste & set aside.
New York Strip Bites
- 16 oz Omaha Steaks New York Strip Steak 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil plus additional for basting
- 2-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- In small bowl combine cubed steak, olive oil & herbs/seasonings.
- Rub liberal amount of mixture over all portions of the steaks, cover in re-sealable container & refrigerate for 1hour, up to 4hours.
- Remove from steak from refrigerator & rest at room temperature for 5 minutes, max.
- Meanwhile, over high heat in a medium sautee pan, warm olive oil
- Carefully pour steak cubes into pan & uncovered, sear meat 4-6 minutes, stirrnig intermittently.
- Remove pan from heat & immediately stir steak into sauteed mushroom-onion.
Balsamic Stout Reduction
- 12 ounces balsamic vinegar
- 6 oz Founder's Brewery Imperial Stout Beer plus 1 additional bottle stout beer
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Bring the balsamic vinegar, stout, & sugar to a low simmer in a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir occasionally for 20-25 minutes, or until the mixture is reduced to 1 cup & syrup-like in consistency. Set aside & allow to cool, until needed.