Bacon Wrapped and Beer-Honey Glazed Chicken Drumsticks
Question: What would make for a more epic backyard barbeque than a surprise grill throwdown for the bravest men in town, all while getting elbow deep in some crazy amazing barbeque chicken, bacon & brewski??!
Answer: Nothing would make for a more epic backyard barbeque.
Well… 50 uniformed police officers & firemen are going to be treated to this recipe this afternoon. Stay tuned for videos & photos LIVE from PD Headquarters in Grand Rapids, Michigan! #DOMORE #724RAOK
Sweet Heat Chicken Drumstick Dry Rub
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Add all ingredients into a food processor. Pulse to combine. Use immediately or pour into an air-tight container. Reserve up to 2 weeks.
Bacon Wrapped & Beer-Honey Glazed Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 pounds chicken legs drumsticks, frenched
- 20-30 slices cut in half
- tooth picks
- Blue cheese crumbled, to garnish
- Green onion to garnish
- Wheat Beer and Honey Glaze
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil plus additional for basting chicken
- 2 cups citrus wheat beer
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- With a sharp knife, trim around the chicken legs, removing the tendons, additional fat and skin. Chop top of the drum stick creating a flat head.
- Massage prepared dry rub into the chicken, coating liberally. Then tightly wrap 1/2 slice of bacon around the trimmed drumstick, pinning with a toothpick.
- Place chicken into an air-tight container & marinate in refrigerator for one hour, up to overnight.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce - Bring the olive oil to a gentle simmer in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the honey, brown sugar & beer. Then drink any beer not used in sauce. Discard can.
- Simmer glaze for 3-5 minutes until brown sugar dissolves. Remove from heat when desired consistency achieved. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 20 minutes prior to grilling and let it return to room temperature.
- Preheat the grill to medium, 300-350 degrees.
- Place chicken on the grill and close lid, grilling over indirect heat for 20-30 minutes, turning & basting the chicken intermittently with oil until internal temperature reaches 150 degrees.
- Turn grill to high and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, liberally brushing on the beer-honey sauce until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and brush again with sauce.
- Rest chicken under tin foil tent for 3-5 minutes, allowing the chicken to reabsorb its juices. Serve hot with blue cheese crumble and chopped green onion. Enjoy alongside a big 'ole brewski!