Cowboy-cut bone-in Berkshire pork chops. Seasoned simply and seared over a white hot Lodge Blacklock cast iron pan. Prepared to tender, succulent perfection and served over a sauteed apple-fennel-leek salad. Dressed with a hard apple cider reduction and garnished with fresh herbs and orange zest. Served alongside a pint of crisp, ice cold adult beverages, family and the best of friends. -Cheers, David
Berkshire Tomahawk Pork Chops over a Sauteed Apple-Fennel Salad with Hard Cider Pan Sauce
- 2-4 Bone-in Berkshire Pork Chops
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn
- Granulated roasted garlic powder
- 1 bulb Fresh fennel, finely sliced
- 2 cups leek, finely sliced
- 1 large crisp and sweet red apple
- 1/2 can hard apple cider, semi-sweet
- Fresh herbs, to garnish
- Tangerine zest, or orange zest
- Preheat grill to high and warm cast iron skillet. Meanwhile, season the pork chops with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Place the seasoned chops directly into the heated cast iron pan for approximately 2-3 minutes untouched, with the grill lid open. When the meat easily pulls away from the cast iron flip meat over, toss in butter at head of the pan. Tilt pan head up from heat and repeatedly basted infused butter atop the pork for 3-4 minutes, encrusting the exterior, building layer upon layer of flavor, until the internal temperature reads 142F (medium-rare). *Flip back over and continue the baste if temperature is not at 142F after 3-4 minutes on the second side. Remove from the cast iron and place over a cooling rack. Rest for 5-7 minutes before carving. Season additionally to taste and serve.
- Toss the apple, fennel and leek into the same hot pan that the pork chops were cooked within. Season with salt and pepper, and cook just until fragrant and tender. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same pan used to prepare the pork and veg, pour in the hard cider and deglaze the skillet. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up all the browned bits, and reduce sauce by half, or until you can.
- To plate, situate pork chop atop the apple-fennel and leek salad. Garnish with fresh herbs and tangerine zest. Season additionally to taste and serve.