Please allow me to introduce to you, A Bachelor & His Grill‘s, Grilled Romaine Hearts with New York Strip Kabobs and Balsamic Reduction.
YOU: “Wait just a ‘gol darn second there, Mr. Bachelor… Let me get this straight… You’re grilling lettuce?!”
ME: “You bet your sweet buckets, Mister! One of my very favorite recipes – Taking your boring, run of the mill, mundane bowl of rabbit food & ampping it up 10 ways from Tuesday. Be assured. Grilled lettuce will change your life. OK… That may be a bit drastic. But, if not your life, it will surely alter your thoughts on salad. In a very positive, physio-emotional way.”
Hearty, crisp leaves of Romaine are rubbed with a homemade, Tuscan-inspired marinade, then seared, integrating the most amazing smoky essence. The lettuce is dressed in aged & crumbled blue cheese, a host of gorgeous native berries, & toasted walnuts. Then, a sweet, tangy balsamic reduction is drizzled, delivering a dynamic bit of acidity & contrast to this lean, mean plate of green!
Oh… and you know I’m not going to leave out mention of those Kabobs. 32 ounces of animalistic, heart-pounding, carnivor Heaven. The most amazing, mouth-watering cuts of Omaha Steaks New York Strip Steaks are boldly seasoned, cubed & marinated, skewered & laid over livefire. The kabobs are grilled until caramelized & encrusted upon the exterior, all while left pink, juicy & tender to the core.
Now – tune up that grill & lay some greens to grates! Enjoy. Cheers, my Friends!
Grilled Great Lakes Summer Salad
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil with additional for dressing
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme chopped
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Basil chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 4 Romaine Hearts rinsed and ends trimmed
- Coarse Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Michigan Strawberries sliced
- 1 Cup Michigan Blueberries
- 1 Cup Heirloom Tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 Cup Carrots shaved
- 1 Cup Walnuts salted and dry roasted
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- A Bachelor & His Grill's Balsamic Vinegar Reduction Recipe Below
- A Bachelor & His Grill's Grilled New York Strip Kabobs Recipe Below
- Preheat the grill to medium high.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, fresh herbs, and garlic.
- Trim the upper 1-2 inches of the romaine hearts so the tops of each are even.
- Slice the romaine hearts in half, lengthwise.
- Brush the cut sides with the olive oil mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes, or until the char marks are well defined and the leaves are just beginning to wilt.
- Pull from the grill and immediately dress with the fruits, tomatoes, carrots, roasted walnuts and crumbled blue cheese.
- Season additionally with salt and pepper to taste,and lightly drizzle with a touch of olive oil and a drizzle of the balsamic vinegar reduction (Recipe Below).
- Serve warm & ENJOY!
Balsamic Reduction Dressing
- 1 1/2 Cups Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- Bring the balsamic vinegar, sugar and honey to a low simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir occasionally for 15 minutes, or until the mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup and is syrup-like in consistency.
- Remove the reduction from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
- Drizzle over grilled romaine salad.
Grilled New York Strip Kabobs
- 32 oz Omaha Steaks New York Strip Steak 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil plus additional for basting
- 2-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- 4-6 wooden skewers soaked in water for 20minutes prior to grilling
- In small bowl combine cubed steak, olive oil & herbs/seasonings.
- Rub liberal amount of mixture over all portions of the steaks, cover in re-sealable container & refrigerate for 1hour, upto 4hours.
- Meanwhile soak wooden skewers in water.
- Remove from steak from refrigerator, skewer, & rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before grilling.
- Pre-heat grill to it’s highest setting.
- Lay steak skewers upon grill’s hottest grates, over direct heat.
- With grill lid open, sear steak 4-5 minutes per side, turning only once & basting with oil intermittently.
- Turn down heat on grill to medium, move steaks to indirect heat, close grill lid & cook to medium rare – 140F or medium – 150F.
- Remove steaks from grill, lightly brush with olive oil, & tent under tin foil for 3-5 minutes, allowing the meat to reabsorb it’s juices & arrive at serving temperature (medium rare – 145F / medium – 155F).
- Season to taste, plate & serve.