Spice-encrusted Grilled Prawn & Whole Wheat Pesto Spaghetti
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces whole wheat spaghetti noodles dried
- A Bachelor & His Grill's "Toasted Almond & Basil Pesto," see recipe below
- A Bachelor & His Grill's "Spice-encrusted Grilled Prawn," see recipe below
- Cherry tomatoes sliced
- Feta cheese crumbled
- Fresh rosemary chopped, to garnish
- Prepare "Toasted Almond-Basil Pesto," per recipe below. Cover & set aside.
- Prepare "Spice-encrusted Grilled Prawn" dry rub & marinate prawn, per recipe below.
- Meanwhile, in large pot over high heat bring water, salt & 1 tablespoon oil to boil.
- Add spaghetti & stirring intermittently, cook 10-15 minutes, or until just tender, but slightly firm to bite. Drain remaining water from noodles, toss & set aside to rest, covered.
- While noodles boiling, preheat grill to high, remove prawn from marinade, then skewer & cook "Spice-encrusted Grilled Prawn," per recipe below.
- Toss prepared spaghetti noodles with pesto, tomatoes & feta. Add 1-2 skewers of grilled prawn. garnish with rosemary & season additionally, to taste.
Spice-encrusted Grilled Prawn
- 16 ounces prawn or shrimp
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus additional for basting
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn
- wooden skewers soaked in water 20 minutes before applying prawn
- Using pestle & mortar (or food processor) grind together herbs & spices.
- In covered container, massage oil & spices into prawn, then marinate 1-4 hours, stirring intermittently.
- Preheat grill to high, soak skewers & rest prawn at room temperature 20 minutes before cooking.
- With shell in tact, skewer 3-4 prawn at a time, then lay over direct heat of the grill's hottest grates.
- Grill 2-3 minutes per side, with grill lid open, basting as the prawn cook.
- Remove prawn skewers from grill when shells are pink, bold char marks set, & prawn meat is cooked through, to translucent in color.
- Remove prawn from skewers, season additionally to taste, & serve immediately.
Toasted Almond and Basil Pesto
- 2 ½ cups cups fresh basil packed
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley packed
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup salted almonds
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil plus additional as needed
- salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Dry roast almonds, in single layer, on lined baking sheet for 8-10 minutes, or until just fragrant. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In food processor pulse together all ingredients, except oil.
- Then, pour olive oil ¼ cup at a time, pulsing until desired consistency achieved.
- Season to taste with kosher salt / pepper.