Shish Kabobs take me 30 years back to barbecues surrounded by family, friends and the rustic cornfields of western Michigan. With a cattle farm near by my childhood home, naturally-sourced grass-fed beef was commonplace upon our modest dinner table. But, if a special occasion was to be hosted over the barbecue, rib eye or strip steak kabobs were most often the featured main course. Although a natural choice when electing to prepare a meal for a crowd, I imagine the regular appearance of kabobs on our holiday and family gathering menus could be equally attributed to their simplicity in preparation, aesthetic in presentation, and maybe most importantly – with the assistance of a great marinade, a touch of intense heat, and the application of charcoal and hardwood essence, the mouthwatering flavor of perfectly prepared seared beef and charred vegetables have no equal.
Drawing upon inspiration from these childhood backyard barbecues, I share one of my favorite Shish Kabob recipes below – marinated cubed tri-tip beef steak in a gorgeous blend of Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, soy and garlic. The kabobs pair the well-marbled steak with a host of rustic vegetables, are seared over intense radiant heat and garnished with parsley and green onion. Bon appetit!
Grilled Tri-Tip Steak Shish Kebabs
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus additional for basting
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons garlic minced
- Fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- 2 pounds tri-tip trimmed and cubed
- 1-2 red onions chopped
- 2 large bell peppers chopped
- Several white button mushrooms rinsed and stems removed
- 4 cobs of corn each chopped into 6 rounds
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- Fresh parsley and green onion chopped, to garnish
- 6-8 12-18 " bamboo skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes before grilling
- Whisk together all marinade ingredients and bring to a simmer in pan until sugar dissolved. Let the sauce cool entirely.
- Place steaks in a ziplock bag and pour marinade over the steaks. Press all air from the ziplock bag and refrigerate from 4 hours up to overnight.
- Remove marinated beef from refrigerator, discard the marinade and preheat grill to medium-high heat at least 20 minutes prior to cooking.
- Load individual skewers with marinated steak and prepared vegetables.
- Place skewers over the hottest grill grates, searing the kabobs with grill lid open, turning the skewers a quarter turn every 2-3 minutes, until internal temperature of the steak reaches 140F.
- Remove skewers from grill and place under tin foil tent for 5 minutes.
- To plate, garnish with chopped parsley and green onion. Season additionally to taste. Serve.