Pasture-raised and grassfed Australian ground lamb with a warm blend of toasted Moroccan spices and fresh herbs. Seared over white hot cast iron, a smoldering inferno of charcoal and live fire, then finished with a knob of browned butter and dusting of fleur de sel. Plated atop a beautiful avocado hummus with a richly-flavored olive oil, sauteed pine nuts, chopped cilantro and cracked peppercorn. Just awesome stuff!!!
This recipe was inspired by my travels in Northern Africa, a beautiful appetizer dish for a special occasion, and a spin on meal that I prepared for television filming alongside my friends from AussieBeefLamb. Check out the full program on FineCookingMag Facebook Page – linked directly below!!
Wishing you all a beautiful Mother’s Day. -Cheers, David
Creamy Avocado Hummus with Goat Cheese and Toasted Pine Nuts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for serving
- Juice from 1 large lemon, zest reserved for garnish
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, packed, plus additional to garnish
- 1/2 large ripe avocado
- 15 oz prepared chickpeas, skins removed
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
- Goat cheese crumbled, to garnish
- Toasted pine nuts, to garnish
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and tahini until smooth. Add garlic and spices then whip vigorously for 30-60 seconds. Spoon this mixture, the avocado and chickpeas into a food processor and just smooth. Pour in water and finish on puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
Moroccan-style Ground Australian Lamb with Avocado Hummus
- 16 oz Ground Australian Grassfed Lamb
- 3 tablespoons Moroccan Ras el Hanout seasoning
- Dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper corn, to taste
- One hour prior to cooking, rest ground lamb on counter. Just prior to cooking, season with Ras el Hanout and salt and pepper. Warm butter and oil in cast iron pan over high heat, cook onion and garlic until translusent and fragrant. Add lamb and brown until golden and crispy. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.To plate, attractively spread humus across serving dish. Spoon atop ground lamb and dress with goat cheese and pine nuts. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon zest. Finish with fresh herbs.