- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter diced into small cubes
- 1/2 cup water ice cold
Sift together flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Cut the butter into dry mixture until flour is in pea-sized pieces. With a hand mixer set on low, drizzle in the water until the dough comes together. Form the dough into a disk shape, wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour. Remove from plastic, cut into 2 portions – 1 for the bottom crust, the other to top the pie. Roll out each lump of dough over a floured surface to 1/8-1/4-inch thick. Set aside.
- 1/2 Rotisserie chicken fully cooked, white and dark meat pull and shredded
- Prepared Simple Die Dough see recipe above, or store-bought pie dough (if frozen, thaw before use)
- Egg wash: 2 whole eggs beaten plus 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Canola oil
- 2-3 shallots peeled and chopped
- 1/2 head of fennel finely sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots finely chopped
- 1 russet potato rinsed and scrubbed, then chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk or cream
- 2 spring onion greens finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs thyme leaves chopped
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
In a sauté pan over medium heat, bring oil to a gentle simmer. Toss in shallots, fennel & garlic. Sauté 3-5 minutes or until just fragrant. Stir in carrot, potato & mushrooms. Stirring intermittently, cooking for additional 7-10 minutes, or until vegetables release their water. Sift flour over sauteed vegetables, then add chicken & slowly pour in broth and milk. Cover pan & bring to a simmer, reducing volume until thick & creamy. Fold in the green onions & herbs, then season to taste. Set chicken filling aside, covered.
Meanwhile, preheat grill to 400 degrees using the 2-zone method.
Brush rolled pie dough in egg wash. Press dough into a greased cast iron pan. Scoop chicken filling into pie, loading to the brim. Gently lay the second disk of rolled dough over the pie. Pinch pie edges together and brush top of pie with remaining wash. Score top of the pie with tip of a sharp knife so steam can escape. Season top of pie with kosher salt.
Place prepared pie over the direct, hottest grill grates for 3-4 minutes, browning the bottom of the pie crust. Then transfer the pie to the indirect, cooler grates. Cover the grill lid & roast pie for 20-30 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Remove from grill. Rest on cooling rack for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Creating a 2-zone Grilling Surface:
1-burner grill – leverage the warming shelf, lined with tin foil, to remove the meat from direct contact with the grill grates. 2-burner grill – heat the right side to hot and leave the left side off. 3-burner grill – heat the far right side to hot, the middle to low-medium and the left side off. 4-burner grill – heat the two right zones to high and leave the two left zones off.