A gentle breeze across candle-lit date night warmed with gorgeous hand-rolled forest mushroom & black truffle pappardelle pasta. Dressed with sautéd shallots, wild & black trumpet mushrooms, then topped with a peppery, white wine cream sauce. Garnished with toasted pine nuts, shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, a garden of fresh herbs & coarse seasonings.
- 16 ounces wild mushrooms rinsed & trimmed
- 1 pot salted water with a splash of olive oil
- Pappardelle pasta Pictured: Local Epicurian Forest Mushroom & Black Truffle
- Kosher salt & fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- Peppery White Wine Cream Sauce:
- Olive oil
- 1-2 sprigs rosemary
- 2-3 small shallots chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1-2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- Pine nuts dry toasted in oven at 400F for 6-8 minutes
- Parmigiano-Reggiano shaved
- Chopped spring onion rosemary & flat leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 400○F. Toss wild mushrooms in olive oil & season with salt. Roughly chop the mushrooms, then spread in a single layer over a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 8-12 minutes, or until tender, fragrant & moisture released.
Meanwhile, In large pot over high heat bring salted water to a rolling boil. Add Pappardelle to the water, cover & reduce heat to a gentle boil. Stirring intermittently, remove pasta from pot when cooked to al dente. Strain liquid, tenderly toss noodles with a splash of olive oil & return to covered pot. Set aside.
As the noodles boil, in heavy bottom pan over high heat, bring 2 tablespoons olive oil to gentle simmer. Toss in rosemary sprigs, shallots & garlic. Sauté until fragrant & shallots just beginning to caramelize. Turn down heat to medium & add wine, reducing volume by 3/4. Add vinegar, milk & chicken stock - cover & whisking intermittently, reduce volume by half. Fold in Parmigiano-Reggiano. Thicken with flour. Season with paprika & nutmeg.
Remove sauce from heat & discard rosemary sprigs. Pour sauce into food processor & puree (or use immersion blender in pan). Season to taste with salt & pepper.
To plate, roll pasta around a fork. Rest pasta in dish center. Pour over sauce. Top with roasted wild mushrooms. Garnish with fresh, finely chopped shallots, spring onion, herbs, Parmigiano-Reggiano, pine nuts & fresh cracked peppercorn.