A hot, wholesome & delicious, protein-packed Breakfast on this gloomy, late fall morning. Outside, 40-70 mile per hour winds bearing down up on the shudders & shingles of my place, tornado warnings ring & the splendid natural glory of Michigan’s winter settles across the landscape. Yes, this is actually the condition of my surrounding environment. On the other hand, indoors by fireside, the weather is but a backdrop for a morning that has forced me into the warmth of this Bachelor’s kitchen. And, one-by-one, I devour these Mediterranean Lemon Yogurt Waffles, as if consuming the necessary volume of sustenance to last through a cold winter’s hibernation.
That said, these waffles are absolutely perfect for this chilly Sunday. Whole-grains, Greek yogurt, fresh lemons, orange blossom honey, almond & a lite dusting of sugar. Oh… and, a dollop (or 4) of pure northern Michigan maple syrup.
Now… beyond the warmth in my belly, I love these waffles for 3 reasons.
1. The recipe is easy breezy… Just whisk together 1 part whole wheat flour + 1 part Greek yogurt + 1 part this is the best thing I’ve ever put in my face before 10am.
2. These waffles are perfect for those that love their griddle cakes with a gentle, crisp & slightly caramelized exterior, while this slice of Heaven’s interior is light, fluffy & incredibly moist.
3. Loaded to the tilt with complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, & an imperial ton of protein, these bad boys are delivered from griddle to plate in less than 10min!! Oh… and, no 8-syllable preservatives, concentrated levels of super-saturated fats, bull $hit artificial flavors, &/or mercury-laden high fructose gmo corn syrup. A winner by all accounts!!
OK. Enough chit chat from this guy. Onward to get in where I fit in, articulate my temporomandibular joint in a fashion that supports smashing my mug around a second mantastic serving of this fantasticness, & then out to make a dynamite Sunday FUNday happen!
For this recipe, a bit of culinary debauchery & copious amounts of family-friendly, food-based pornography, click THIS LINK leading you back to the home page of my very favorite semi-dysfunctional food blog. Cheers!
Mediterranean Lemon Yogurt Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup low-fat almond milk or skim cow's milk
- 1 cup 0% greek yogurt lemon plain
- 1/4 cup canola oil plus additional to grease waffle iron
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 large lemon juice & zest
- confectioner's sugar optional
- pure maple syrup optional
- In large mixing bowl sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon & salt.
- In separate mixing bowl, until thoroughly combined, whisk milk, yogurt, oil, honey, almond & vanilla zest.
- Gradually pour wet ingredients into flour mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined, but batter still slightly lumpy.
- Note: If batter too runny, add 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour until desired consistency achieved.
- In separate mixing bowl, beat eggss until stiff peaks form.
- Fold stiffened eggs, lemon juice & lemon zest into batter until entirely integrated.
- Over pre-heated & oiled waffle iron, scoop 3-4 tablespoons of batter.
- Close lid & cook 5-7 minutes, or until waffles golden brown & edges slightly crispy.
- Remove waffle from iron & place on cooling rack.
- Repeating until all batter consumed.
- To plate, stack waffles, dust with confectioner's sugar & drizzle with maple syrup.
- Serve immediately. Stay hungry. Carry forth. Like a boss.