Tart apple-cranberry and pistachio sourdough stuffing with sauteéd shallots, celery, heirloom carrots and garlic. Splashed with olive oil and seasoned beautifully with kosher salt, ground peppercorns, mandarin orange, a spoonful of wildflower honey and a garden of fresh herbs. Then slowly roasted to tender, golden and glorious perfection. Paired perfectly alongside gently smoked maple-glazed duck, plated with roasted Duroc heritage spiral ham, or presented atop the crown of herb-encrusted frenched prime rib roast.
- 8 cups day-old dried sourdough bread croutons, small dice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons wildflower honey
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 large shallots finely diced
- 4-6 cloves of garlic minced
- 2-3 carrots sticks finely sliced
- 2-3 celery stalks ribs removed and finely sliced
- 2 granny smith apples cored and finely diced
- 2-3 green onion stalks chopped
- 1 cup of dried cranberries steeped in hot water for 15 minutes, then water discarded
- 3 mandarin oranges sliced into eighths
- 1 tablespoon each dried and ground basil, rosemary, sage and thyme
- 3/4 cup dry roasted salted pistachios
- 1 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
Preheat oven to 400F. Over a large baking sheet spread bread cubes and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven. Set aside to air dry at room temperature.
Meanwhile, vigorously whisk together heavy cream, chicken stock, egg and honey. Set aside.
In a heavy bottom sauté pan over medium-high heat bring butter and olive oil to a simmer. Add shallots, garlic, carrot and celery, sautéing until onion is just translucent. Stir in apples and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in toasted sourdough croutons, steeped cranberries and orange slices. Pour over heavy cream-chicken stock mixture. Dust with dried herbs and salt and pepper, to taste. Fold all ingredients together and top with dry roasted pistachios.
Spoon mixture into a large greased baking pan, spreading evenly across the surface in a shallow layer. Bake in oven uncovered for 25-30 minutes at 400F, or until all liquid absorbed and stuffing is golden brown in color. Remove from oven, rest for 5 minutes to cool. Discard oranges. Mix in pistachios and parsley, season additionally, to taste, and serve.