Heirloom tomato & red wine spaghetti with locally harvested ground venison, spicy Italian sausage, a garden of fresh herbs, caramelized shallots and garlic, earthy portobello mushroom, pecorino romano, shaved Parmesan and toasted pistachios. Paired perfectly with a gorgeous bottle of Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon. Cheers!
Red Wine and Fresh Herb Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic smashed
- 3-4 large shallots diced
- 2-3 portobello mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper finely diced
- 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 28 oz heirloom cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh leaves of basil
- 1 tablespoon each dried oregano parsley, rosemary and thyme
- 250 ml merlot wine
- 1/3 cup pecorino romano cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black peppercorn to taste
- Preheat Oven to 400F. Slice tomatoes, then layer evenly across a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven, uncovered, until tomatoes begin to char, approximately 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on stove top in a saute pan over high heat, warm oil and caramelize shallots and garlic. Add mushroom and pepper into simmering onion and garlic, cooking until tender. Pour in tomato paste, roasted tomatoes, 1/3 bottle of wine, the spices and seasonings. Cover, stir intermittently, and slowly cook until desired thickness of sauce achieved.
- Pour sauce and cheese into a food processor. Pulse and blend until desired consistency achieved. Season additionally to taste and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
Red Wine and Fresh Herb Venison Spaghetti with Pecorino Romano and Parmesan
- Red Wine and Fresh Herb Tomato Sauce see recipe above
- 16 ounces thin spaghetti pasta
- 1 knob butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces ground venison
- 8 ounces spicy Italian sausage sausage casing sliced open and discarded
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn to taste
- Heirloom cherry tomatoes sliced, to garnish
- Roasted and salted pistachios chopped, to garnish
- Fresh thyme and oregano chopped, to garnish
- Parmesan cheese shaved, to garnish
- Prepare tomato sauce per recipe above. Cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add pasta to a pot of boiling salted water. Turn down heat to a rolling simmer, cover and cook until al dente. Drain. Then cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy bottom saute pan over stove top high heat warm the butter and oil. Loosely mix together the ground venison and Italian sausage, season to taste with salt and pepper, then sear the meat, cautious to not over cook. Remove when meat is golden brown upon it's exterior and light pink in color on it's interior. Immediately stir meat into prepared tomato sauce.
- To plate, spoon ground venison tomato sauce mixture over the pasta. Garnish with chopped pistachios, shaved Parmesan, fresh heirloom tomatoes and herbs. Season to taste and serve.