A Bachelor & His Grill‘s “Roasted Walnut and Gorgonzola-Stuffed Grilled Apples” – Sweet. Salty. A touch Smoky. Sinfully Gorgeous. Divinely Delectable.
Roasted Walnut and Gorgonzola-Stuffed Grilled Apples
- 4-6 strips bacon
- 6 ounces chopped walnuts salted and dry roasted
- 8 ounces gorgonzola cheese crumbled
- 4 ounces dried cherries chopped
- 4 Granny smith or honeycrisp apples
- 4 lemon wedges
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the grill to medium and your oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay bacon strips on a baking sheet and roast in the oven 12-15 minutes, or until crispy.
- Remove bacon from oven, and drain on paper towels. Chop and reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the walnuts, Gorgonzola, cherries and bacon bits.
- Cut a thin level slice off top of each apple. Using a paring knife, hollow out a cavity in the apple for the stuffing.
- Squeeze juice of each lemon wedge over the cut flesh of each apple, then rub lemon into apple flesh to prevent browning.
- Liberally stuff the apples with the stuffing mix, creating a mound on top. Drizzle each apple with 1 tablespoon honey.
- Place apples on the grill over indirect heat, close the lid and cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until stuffing is bubbly and the apples are just tender to the touch.
- Remove apples from the grill, allow to rest for 3-5 minutes on a cooling rack, and then dust with cinnamon and serve.