Chile-Honey Cedar Plank Salmon
Servings: 2 -4
- 2 pounds salmon fillets skin & bones removed, cut to fit planks
- 3/8 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus additional for basting
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- sea salt and cracked black peppercorn to taste
- 2 cedar planks
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- In large container, combine water and 1/2 cup rum, then submerge wood for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together, honey, chile powder, mustard, sugar, cinnamon & salt/pepper, then set aside.
- Pre-heat grill to low-medium, 250-300 degrees.
- minutes prior to grilling, remove salmon from refrigerated area, brush with olive oil, & liberally season with sea salt / pepper.
- Remove cedar planks from bath, lay seasoned salmon upon planks, then place to rest over the grill grates emanating indirect heat.
- Close grill lid & cook for 30-45 minutes, intermittently & lightly basting salmon with oil.
- In final 10 minutes of grilling begin brushing chile-honey glaze over salmon, caramelizing one layer over the previous.
- Note: only leave grill lid open long enough to baste, then return lid to close.
- Remove planks (with salmon) when internal temperature reaches 135 degrees & meat flakes evenly at thickest portion of filet.
- Place under tin foil tent for 3-5 minutes to rest.
- Brush one final time with glaze, season additionally to taste & serve on planks.