Thursday evenings in this house are what my wild children & I call, “Kid’s Choice Night.” The kids pick a movie & what we make for dinner as a family.
Not only do my young ones have great taste in films (ie. Tonight’s feature – “Back to the Future” w/ Marty McFly, Biff Tannen & Doc Brown)… But, I must admit that I LOVE every time they exclaim “BREAKFAST FOR DINNER!!”
In honor of this evening’s Breakfast for Dinner I share with you, A Bachelor & His Grills Sweet Potato Oatmeal Waffles with Maple-Pecan Granola – Loaded with whole grains, gorgeous sweet potatoes, crunchy, salted pecan granola, and a drizzling of all-natural, northern Michigan maple syrup.
In summary, this is a sure-fire, 1-plate stack of Winning – A crazy simple recipe loaded with an imperial ton of flavor, incredible texture contrast between the hearty, but fluffy pancakes & crunchy granola, all alongside an amazing play between the slow roasted pecans & warm, sweet maple syrup.
If that wasn’t enough, be assured no waffle recipe is complete without a beverage to pair. I’ve sided this morning masterpiece with 1 Coffee Mug + Bold Coffee + 2oz Irish Whiskey (more or less) + 1oz Milk + Brown Sugar & a dollop of Whipping Cream.
Mix. Consume. Repeat. Boom!
T-Minus 24hrs to the weekend. Cheers to your evenings!
Sweet Potato Oatmeal Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats cooked
- 1/3 cup roasted & salted pecans chopped
- 6 egg whites
- 6-8 ounces sweet potato ie. 3/4-1 cup mashed sweet potato, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon orange rind zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Topping Pictured: A Bachelor & His Grill's Maple-Pecan Granola (Recipe Below)
- Topping Pictured: Northern Michigan Pure Amber Maple Syrup
- Pre-Heat Oven to 400F.
- Pierce sweet potato with fork, wrap in foil, place in oven & bake for 45 minutes, or until fork-tender (see notes for baking alternative to expediting cooking time).
- Remove from oven, remove foil & allow to cool for 10minutes.
- Remove skin of sweet potato, mash until smooth & set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl whisk together flour, prepared oats, baking powder & salt.
- In separate mixing bowl, until thoroughly combined, whip together sweet potato, milk, oil, sugar, orange zest, vanilla extract, pumpkin spice & cinnamon.
- Gradually pour & stir wet ingredients into flour/oat mixture - Batter will be thick, slightly lumpy.
- Note: If batter too runny, add flour 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency reached.
- In separate mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- /4 of stiffened egg whites at a time, fold into batter until entirely integrated.
- Over pre-heated & oiled waffle iron, scoop 3-4 tablespoons of batter, close lid & cook for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown in color, edges slightly crispy.
- Remove waffle from iron & place on cooling rack, repeating until all batter consumed.
- To plate, stack waffles, top with A Bachelor & His Grill's Maple-Pecan Granola (See recipe below), & drizzle with syrup.
- Serve immediately. Stay hungry. Carry forth. Like a boss.
Optional Waffle Toppings: Honey, fresh fruit, peanut butter, chocolate, whipped cream... and this list could continue... and, continue.
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups pecans coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup coconut shredded
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- In large mixing bowl whisk together maple syrup, oil, salt, cinnamon & ginger.
- Fold in oats, sugar, pecans & coconut until entirely coated & well-combined.
- Over lined baking sheet evenly spread granola.
- Place in oven, baking 45 minutes-1 hour, rotating 1/2 way after 30 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven & transfer granola to cooling rack.
- Rest until granola arrived at room temperature.
- Crumble cooled granola, mix in raisins & serve.